Chloride stress corrosion cracking (CLSCC) is one of the most common reasons why austenitic stainless steel pipework and vessels deteriorate in the chemical processing and petrochemical
Deterioration by CLSCC can lead to failures that have the potential to release stored energy and/or hazardous substances.
Failures of plant can be prevented by an awareness of the onset and evolution of CLSCC, and by periodic
inspection to monitor the extent of cracking.
Although the deterioration of austenitic stainless steel
by CLSCC is well known, identified that the technical justification for setting
inspection intervals and the effectiveness of periodic non-destructive examination (NDE) for monitoring
CLSCC were additional areas of concern.
The objectives of this work were:
To draw conclusions and give recommendations for best practice in assessing susceptibility to
CLSCC and in applying risk based inspection (RBI) to existing plant, in particular setting
inspection intervals and carrying out non-destructive examinations (NDE).
To assess a case of extensive deterioration from CLSCC in austenitic stainless steel reactor
vessels that operated at ambient temperature. This part of the work included metallurgical
testing and an engineering critical assessment of the reactors’ structural integrity.
To review non-destructive examination NDE techniques for detecting and sizing CLSCC based on trials carried out by
Mitsui-Babcock with samples from one of the reactors.
To review literature on published cases of CLSCC at near ambient temperatures and of factors
affecting the mechanism of CLSCC. The purpose of the review was to assess published data as
a basis for control measures and for RBI decisions in the management of CLSCC.
1. austenitic stainless steel
2. Stress Corrosion Cracking SCC
3. Chloride Stress Corrosion Cracking (CLSCC)
4. Stress Corrosin Cracking SCC of Duplex Stainless Steel
5. Chloride Stress Corrosion Cracking in Austenitic Stainless Steel
6. Recommendations for Assessing Susceptibility to CLSCC
7. Main Findings on CLSCC in the Reactors
8. Literature Review to Chloride Stress Corrosion Cracking
9. CLSCC Chloride Stress Corrosion Cracking Mechanism
10. Factors Affecting CLSCC Chloride Stress Corrosion Cracking
11. Controlling Chloride Stress Corrosion Cracking
12. Structural Integrity Assessment
13. Non-Destructive Examination NDE